Welcome to Pete's Pride!
Pete’s Pride is a volunteer initiative that helps Youngstown State University recruit new students, mentor current students and engage recent graduates. Volunteers assist with enrollment, career development and community outreach efforts at YSU.
Membership is open to YSU alumni, former students, parents of students, faculty, staff and interested community members. Volunteer opportunities exist for those living outside of the Youngstown area, as well as Mahoning Valley residents. The time commitment is at the volunteer’s discretion.
You can help YSU continue to grow and thrive! Sign up here to join Pete’s Pride.
CURRENT MEMBERS: Pete's Pride polo shirts are now available! Purchase yours on the YSU Bookstore website or at the Bookstore on campus.
Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Find all of our current volunteer activities and sign up for the ones you're interested in by clicking on the links below:
- Admissions Recruitment Events
- Career Development Events
- Outreach Events
- Community Service Projects
- Letter Writing Campaign
- Phone Calling Campaign
- Pete's Pride Career Mentor Network: In partnership with the Office of Career Services, the Pete's Pride Career Mentoring Network is being launched as a component of PenguinLINK, which is the jobs bulletin board for YSU students and alumni. The Career Mentoring Network will allow students and young alumni to contact Pete’s Pride members who match their academic or career fields. Students will initiate contact with potential mentors after searching a database. Mentoring can be done by Pete's Pride members across the country. Volunteers assist in a variety of ways including: conducting informational interviews, networking with students by phone or email and hosting a student for job shadowing. When registering, enter your current email address. If you have not used this system in the past (as a student or alum), you will be prompted to register. Handbooks for the Pete's Pride Career Mentor Network will be mailed to those who registered for the program. The handbooks provide guidelines to mentors. Students will be invited by Career Services to participate at the start of the spring semester. Students will be required to attend an orientation before requesting a mentor.
Check back to this website or keep up with our newsletter to be notified of new volunteer opportunities!
Keep Up With Pete's Pride
Are you part of the Pride or interested in becoming a member? The Pete’s Pride newsletter is a great way to keep up with the group, read member spotlights, find out what's happening and learn how you can get involved. The newsletter is sent to members via email every 6-8 weeks. Read our latest issue or join Pete’s Pride to receive the newsletter.
You can also follow us on Facebook and LinkedIN - look for "YSU Pete's Pride" - and follow @ysualumni on Twitter.
Pete's Pride celebrated two years of service on Jul 10, 2016. View highlights of the past year.
YSU Talking Points for Pete’s Pride – Fall 2016
Take a look at these YSU Talking Points to refer to as you share the good news about YSU with future Penguins!
- Ashley Orr becomes YSU’s first Rhodes Scholar
- Two newly-constructed student apartment buildings to open, University Edge in fall 2016 and Enclave in fall 2017. University residence halls; the Courtyard Apartments, and the new University Edge Apartments are all at capacity for Fall 2016.
- YSU has 12,756 students enrolled this fall semester, up from 12,471 last fall semester. It is YSU's first fall-to-fall enrollment in the university's history.
- YSU ranks 17th on list of nation’s Most Affordable Online Colleges
- Three new deans, leading CLASS, CCAC, and the STEM College, will begin in 2016
- This is the best freshman class in YSU history, with an average GPA of 3.24 and ACT of 21.77.
- 16:1 YSU’s Student-Faculty Ratio
If you have any questions, email us at petespride AT ysu DOT edu.