How to Prepare
Now that you have landed the interview, you need to prepare yourself for the day. Do not wait until the night before to prepare for an interview. Well in advance you need to:
◊ Research the company you are interviewing with. Review their web site and have some knowledge about the company.
This shows the employer you are not only interested in a paycheck.
◊ Review possible interview questions and organize your thoughts regarding how you plan on answering.
◊ Schedule a mock interview with our office to sharpen your answers and your overall interview skills.
◊ Make a good first impression. Dress appropriately and professionally. See our list of suggestions below.
◊ Be on time to your interview. Research where the company is located and where you need to park. Allow yourself extra
time to arrive in case of unforeseen circumstances.
What to wear - Men
- Dark suits, properly fitted
- Dark dress shoes, polished
- Dark dress socks
- Conservative neck tie
- No jewelry except wedding or class ring, dress watch
- Well-groomed facial hair
- No long side-burns or long hair
- Nails - trimmed and clean
What to wear - Women
- Dark coordinated suits, properly fitted with a matching blouse, no plunging neckline
- Skirt line no more than one inch above the knee
- Dress shoes, polished, matching, no open toe
- Neutral colored hose
- Minimal jewelry - dress watch, wedding ring
- Natural looking make-up
- Clear or conservatively colored nail polish; no chipped nail polish
Men and Women Interview Etiquette
- No heavy cologne or perfume
- No visible tattoos or body piercings
- No purple, green, pink, etc. colored hair
- Fresh breath
- Freshly bathed/showered (no body odor, use deoderant)
- Freshly ironed clothing
Types Interview Questions
Behavioral Questions Informational Questions
STAR: S - Situation T - Task A - Action R - Results
Popular Interview Questions
Questions to Ask the Interviewer
Mock Interview - We understand that going on your first professional job interview can be quite overwhelming and a bit nerve racking. Our office offers mock interviews for you to have the opportunity to enhance your interviewing skills. You also have the option of having your mock interview video taped so that you can review it with one of our Career Counselors.
Telephone Interview Tips - When doing a telephone interview, there are some general guidelines you will want to follow.
Please click on telephone interview tips to view them.
Follow Up - Follow up is important after the interview. A follow-up shows the employer you appreciate the opportunity you had to meet with them. This also allows you an opportunity to briefly remind them how you are an asset to their company.