YSU Home | About YSU | Admissions | Faculty and Staff | News | Calendars | A-Z Index
Center for Student Progress
Adult Learner Services
Adult Learner Services
- Adult Learner Services offers support to adult learners – those who are 25 years of age or older, or who have been out of school for four years or more.
- The service provides academic and personal support, individually and through programming, with an "up-close-and-personal" approach.
- Programs and activities are designed not only to assist but also to educate older students as they move in and through college.
- Nationwide, as adults continue to be the fastest growing segment of entering college students, institutions are finding new ways to accommodate the adult student's needs.
- YSU established Adult Learner Services in 1994 to meet the needs of its adult learners.
Adult Enrollment Trends in Higher Education
From the U.S. Department of Education...
- 42% of all college students are 25 years of age or older
- 80% of adult students study at public colleges
- 50% of adult students are enrolled in four-year institutions
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the year 2003 established...
- a 4% gain for students under 25
- a 16% gain for students over 25
- 43% of all student enrollment age 25 and older a forecast to 50% of all student enrollment age 25 and older by 2010.
The Center for Student Progress is offering
- Collaboration in forming math classes for adult students
- Decision-making and goal-setting workshops
- Assistance in course selection, scheduling and registration
- Individual consultations for current and entering adult students
- Surveying and assessing adult learner needs and concerns
- Guidance and referrals for U.S. veterans
- Information regarding adult enrollment data
- Adult peer mentoring and extended orientation
Additional resource available at College for Adults (National College Transition Network) and A gathering place for adult students
Center for Student Progress • Kilcawley West • Phone: 330.941.3538 • Fax: 330.941.1455
© 2011 Youngstown State University • One University Plaza • Youngstown, Ohio 44555
Admissions: 330.941.2000 • Graduate Admissions: 330.941.3091 • General Information: 330.941.3000