There are many Writing Center resources available to instructors at the University. Instructors have the opportunities to refer students, request workshops or consultant assistance in class, and recommend students for employment at the WC. In addition, instructors can encourage students to make up peer reviews at the Center. The WC coordinator, MAs, graduate students or select professional writing and editing undergraduates are also available to review faculty material via e-mail or a traditional face-to-face consultation.
As a special note to composition instructors, a student may make up his or her diagnostic writing sample in the WC during the first few weeks of the semester if the student is absent or late in adding the class.
To refer a student to the WC for particular assistance with a writing assignment or objective, fill out the form below and attach it to the student's paper. A Record of Visit will be sent to you through e-mail after the consultation.
WC referral form (Word document)
Classroom visits or workshops
Instructors can schedule Writing Center consultant visits to the classroom for orientations or workshops. Workshops are great tools available for instructors to use in class to introduce or focus attention on a particular writing concept.
To request a workshop, contact Angela Messenger, WC coordinator, at 330-941-1781 or through e-mail atajbarwick AT ysu DOT edu. Remember to schedule visits in a computer lab or classroom with a technology podium for demonstrations and WC registration purposes.
To recommend a student for employment at the WC, please contact the coordinator by phone or e-mail.
The Writing Center asks instructors who either require WC sessions or award extra credit for visits to keep the following in mind:
- An ROV will only be sent to instructors if the student requests so on the form.
- There may be a delay in forwarding ROVs during high traffic times (e.g., midterms and finals weeks), but students may request an unfinished but signed copy of the ROV at the end of their session to provide instant verification for their visit. A completed ROV will follow when finished.
- ROVs are not provided for informal consultations, where a student contacts the WC with a brief question and does not work with a consultant for a substantial amount of time.
- The WC appreciates any advanced notice of session requirements for large classes.
- Consultations have limits, and students may not achieve perfect papers after even a few sessions.
- Appointment time slots fill quickly, so encourage students to schedule well in advance of due dates to ensure session time.