Graduate Studies in Music
Thank you for your interest in graduate music studies at Youngstown State University.
The Dana School of Music at Youngstown State University offers graduate programs of study leading to the M.M. degree with concentrations in:
Graduate School Admission Requirements
A formal application for graduate admissions at YSU is required of all candidates.
The application and all other important information is available from the School of Graduate Studies and Research.
Additional Admission Requirements within the Dana School of Music:
- A baccalaureate degree in music from an accredited college or university
- An un-recalculated grade-point average of 2.7 (on a 4.0 scale). Students with less than a 2.7 average must provide satisfactory scores on the aptitude portion of the Graduate Record Exam.
- Music Theory/Composition applicants must submit evidence of compositional or analytic activity.
- All performance degree applicants must audition on their principal instrument for acceptance to the appropriate applied music level. Students with a major in conducting performance must show evidence of conducting through an audition and interview.
- Jazz Studies applicants must audition on their principal instrument, submit evidence of compositional or arranging activity, show evidence of scholarly writing, and interview.
We are now accepting applications for assistantships in various areas of study. See the School of Graduate Studies and Research Student Resources for on-line application forms and all other requirements.
Additional questions can be addressed to:
Dr. Stephen W. Ausmannn / Graduate Program Director
The Dana School of Music
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555
swausmann AT ysu DOT edu