The Dana Young Artist Competition, held each year in November, is open to juniors, seniors and graduate students who are enrolled in applied music at the Dana School of Music. This year's competition will be held on Sunday November 18, 2012 beginning at 1:00 pm. The competition will be open to the public.
Rules for Contestants:
1. All applicants must be enrolled in applied music lessons at the Dana School of Music for the instrument on which they will perform.
2. Previous winners of the Dana Young Artist Competition are ineligible.
3. Only one entry per student is admissible. Students may enter only once at the junior level, once at the senior level, and twice at the graduate level.
4. The selection and availability of repertoire must be approved by Professor Wilcox no later than 2:00 pm on Friday October 12, 2012. At this time, all performers must indicate the name of their accompanist. The conductor's decision regarding repertoire is final. All correspondence to Professor Wilcox must be in writing, and placed in his locked mailbox. Correspondence in the open box will not be received.
5. Application forms will be available on the Dana School of Music website. Contestants will submit the completed application form with all required information and signatures to the Dana Office no later than 4:00 pm on Monday October 22, 2012, where they will be stamped and dated. All application forms must be presented to Professor Wilcox for his signature before Friday October 19, 2012 or they will not be accepted. The following information should be included on the application form:
- Contestant's name and email
- Instrument or voice type
- Accompanist name
- Composer with dates
- Title and opus number of composition (including title of movement if applicable)
- Duration of composition
- Edition, publisher and catalogue number of composition
- Signature of applied teacher
- Description of equipment requirements for the competition (including piano lid position)
6. The judges will select up to three winners.
7. Music must be performed from memory.
8. All selections must be accompanied by a standard piano reduction.
9. All performances at the competition are limited to 20 minutes.
10. Studios are required to withdraw incomplete or unprepared entries prior to the competition day.
The application is available in Acrobat format or in HTML.
Click for list of 2012 Winners.
Click for list of 2011 Winners.
Click for list of 2010 Winners.
Click for list of 2009 Winners.
Click for list of 2008 Winners.
Click for list of 2007 Winners.