- Know that an INTERMITTENT alarm signals a fire.
- Know the location of the fire alarm pull stations.
- Know the closest exit out of the building and at least 2 other means of exiting the building.
- Leave the building immediately when the fire alarm is sounded.
- Have a pre-designated meeting place for all those in your office.
- Know who is not present for the day so that they can be accounted for at the designated meeting place.
If you should spot a fire:
- Sound the fire alarm to get everyone out of the building.
- Dial 911 from a campus phone to contact YSU Police. If dialing from a cellular phone, contact YSU Police by calling 330-941-3527.
- Give your name, the name of the building and the location of the fire within the building.
- Only take essential personal possessions when leaving the building. Take items such as car keys and handbags in case the building is shut down and you are not able to re-enter the building.
- Close all doors behind you if you are the last one out of the room
- WALK!!!! to the nearest exit. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS!!! Note: Individuals with disabilities may need assistance.
- Go to your department’s pre-designated meeting place at least 200 feet from the building.
- Cooperate with emergency personnel and YSU Police. Follow all instructions when given.
- Do not re-enter the building until you are told to do so by YSU Police or other emergency personnel.
Never fight a fire if it could block your escape route.
If the fire is small and your safety is not compromised and you know how to use a fire extinguisher, an attempt to put out small fires should be made.
Remember the word PASS:
- P - Pull the pin
- A - Aim low at the base of the fire
- S - Squeeze the handle
- S - Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire