Welcome to the Department of History.
The student learning outcomes for the major in history embody the five basic goals that the Department of History faculty believes are central to our endeavors:
• Students will recognize the difference between primary and secondary resources and be able to critically read and analyze their contents.
• Students will understand the concepts of historiography and that historical interpretation
is not stagnate but changes over time.
• Students will understand the significance of chronologies and the impact of cause and effect.
• Students will comprehend the importance and impact of cultural diversity on the past and its relevance in the present.
• Students will effectively communicate in written and oral media and exhibit the critical thinking and synthesis necessary to the historian’s work.